Brave New Velo is a journal documenting the progress of building a new Soma Smoothie bicycle and the experience of such an endeavor for the first time. Thoughts, discoveries, trials and tribulations will be shared.

Friday, August 26, 2011

These Are Not the Bar End Plugs You Are Looking For

At least that's what they would have told me at Obi Wan's Cyclery about these ODI bar end plugs. After a Summer distracted by many things velo related, I've returned to the web log about the building of a Soma Smoothie bicycle. Today I relate my experience with the fancy, fine-crafted ODI aluminum bar end plugs. They are a lovely sight to behold with their shimmering aluminum finish, BUT disappointingly do not fit a standard road bar. The problem? The adjustable wedge system which secures the plug to the inside of the bar end is not wide enough, therefore requiring a shim in the remaining gap assuring a tight fit. Ah, yet another shim on this bike.


What's more is the diameter of the cap of the plug is so wide that if you aren't using a thick bar tape, like cork (which I happen to prefer anyhow), there will be overhang (for lack of a better term). In fact I needed to apply a small strip of tape on the end of the bar under the wrap in order for the tape to be flush with the plug. If I were using a bar with a smaller diameter there would be even more overhang! Would I have needed a triple layer of tape on the end?



The little imperfections I must endure. All part of the adventure of building a bicycle.

0 comments: