Brave New Velo is a journal documenting the progress of building a new Soma Smoothie bicycle and the experience of such an endeavor for the first time. Thoughts, discoveries, trials and tribulations will be shared.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Assembly Update: Gettin' Fit


An hour here, a couple hours there. I have bits of time from day to day to gradually complete the Soma Smoothie. So I'm at the point of the build where I need to adjust the fit of the bike to know how much steerer tube to chop off. This is the second road bike I've ever owned. What it has in common with the first is a stock frame size of 56cm. I am a tall 5'9" just shy of 5'10"(l77cm). When I was 17 yrs. old and bought that first bike, a Centurion LeMans RS, I was about an inch shorter and probably barely tall enough for that frame. I figured this time around 56cm would be just right but as I adjust the bike to fit I wonder if 54cm is a preferable option. Although this is a trial and error process of learning what frame size fits best. It will take quite a bit of fine tuning to get all of the adjustments just so and that will require some miles on the road. By the time I have the fit dialed in I may find the size is just fine. A lesson learned going into any bike build is knowing certain details, dimensions and measurements that I need in a frame, and subsequently parts, that suit me and my body.

Traditionally I have fit my bikes simply by how the adjustments feel. This time I am trying to take a more clinical approach using tested and tried guidelines for fitting. To get the bike to a point of basic adjustment I followed a simple, logical method by Peter White of Peter White Cycles. From here I can make the necessary finite tweaks and turns. Perhaps even a professional fitting is in my future.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, have you finished your build ? I just bought a smoothie as well Nd planning to build it with SRAM. Just would like to know how yours ride like ?

Kevy Metal said...

It is finished and I've taken it for a few rides in the past month. So far I can confirm what most say about the Smoothie, that it is agile and snappy. It's responsive to bursts of speed, eases through curves and handles bumpy patches of road quite well. I'm really enjoying the ride quality of the bike. I'm still sorting out a couple of fit adjustments and a creak in the bottom bracket, but they don't detract much at all from the experience. Once those issues are sorted out the ride will be even better.

Michael said...

Hi, I'm another anonymous poster curious about your Smoothie. I'm about to start my own smoothie build, and was wondering if you might post some pics of your completed bike. I'd love to see it. Any regrets on the chromo fork? I'm planning on using one too.

Kevy Metal said...

Thanks for your interest. It's good to know that this blog is informative for at least a few people. I'll post more pictures of the complete bike soon. I haven't cut the steerer tube yet, still figuring out the proper length. I've been riding the Smoothie on and off over the Summer. All the while trying to silence a creak in the crank. That's a story for another blog post. The character of the bike is all in the name - smooth. I'm really enjoying it. No regrets whatsoever about opting for the chromo fork instead of the carbon. Two reasons: one, the chromo fork looks brilliant with the frame. It completes and compliments the whole steel aesthetic of the bike, whereas the carbon fork would have been a visually odd pairing. Even down to the paint the two make a beautiful match. The fork was made by Soma afterall. Second reason is I've just come to be very weary of a carbon steerer tube. Of all carbon parts to break that is the most dangerous of situations. The minor difference in weight means nothing to me either. I'm not time trialing for a World Championship or something.